May 6, 2015

Could it be Dyslexia?



Tonight I asked Tyler what he did at Scouts today, and he told me that they studied the Solar System, and drew the planets. I got super excited for him because that's what we've been studying together this week. But then, sadly, he said, "but I did really bad because there was a very confusing worksheet that made no sense at all, but everyone else knew what they were doing and I needed the teacher's help, but I still have no idea how to do it."

I asked him to show me the paper, and it was a worksheet where you unscramble the letters to find the real word. I could tell he struggled with it and he felt embarrassed and overwhelmed about it. Then he showed me the Solar System drawing he did and it was beautiful.
I've been suspecting for awhile that Tyler has Dyslexia and this pretty much confirmed my suspicion. I decided to take a minute and explain to him that the right side of his brain is stronger and bigger than his left side. I reminded him that he is an amazing artist, has an incredible imagination, is super creative and gifted. Then I explained to him that his left brain, the part of the brain in charge of decoding letters and words has to work harder to do its job.
It's funny, because I've been debating whether or not to talk to him about this, as we've been doing school and I see him getting frustrated and battling something and working so much harder than he should have to just to sound out words and spell accurately. I've been praying for an answer about it, and then tonight this happened, and it was like- "here you go, here's your reason and way to talk to him!" I love how God works, I love that He will provide opportunities for us to learn and grow. I know that we are given strengths and weaknesses for a reason. I'm so thankful for Tyler, and for how hard of a worker he is. This isn't easy, but it will pay off. In these months that he and I have been homeschooling, he has taught me so much about patience, and hard work, and love. I know that the Lord is aware of our challenges, and our struggles, and He helps us along our journey 






No comments: