March 25, 2011

Decorated Easter Eggs Tutorial

HAPPY SPRING!!
So, I have to admit, I've kinda been in a funk lately... the normalcy of life has taken over and I'm finding myself fighting for something creative to do in the little amount of energy I have left at the end of the day. I think my hubby and I are fighting off the horrible virus the kids had the last two weeks, and we've gone to bed right after the boys have 3 out of 4 nights so far this week. So, I'm here now to apologize for my lack-there-of (did anyone even notice?) and get right onto the good stuff...
Like this beauty, some good, ol' fashioned decoupaged wooden eggs. I day dreamed back to my tween years when I used to decoupage napkins to jewelry boxes, picture frames, and room decor. Yes, this project is that easy.
I started with some wooden eggs from Michaels for $1.99 each. I would have loved a 3 pack to use my 40% coupon with, but no such luck...
Take some pretty spring-colored napkins and rip into pieces- I tried to rip around flowers/paisley designs, but you can do whatever your little heart desires.
Then take your lovely Mod Podge and paint a patch of glue, and start applying the napkin pieces to the egg. I painted on top of the napkin too.
Helpful Tip: Don't touch the wet gluey napkin on the egg- when you lift your finger, it could rip the napkin off the egg. Yes, I learned this from experience. I found it better to do part of the egg and when I had no room to hold it, set it aside and work on another egg.
Paisley, or flower- what do you like better?

Looks great with my spring letters from Melanie at A-F Creations, given to me for the Spring Swap last year!
p.s. Leave me a quick hello if you are here... I need a little extra boost of excitement that I'm sure I'll get from your comments :)
p.p.s. Don't forget about the Simply Create Challenge- only 2 more days to link up your Craft and then Voting begins! You won't want to miss out on the great prizes!
Linking up with:
Rhinestone Beagle Photobucket Running with Glitter

7 comments:

Rhinestone Beagle said...

Love it. We have a girl in our craft group that is a little addicted to modge podging things so I'll forward this on to her too. Thanks for linking up.

Jewels said...

I love your eggs! Modge podge is the greatest thing isn't it? I have a huge tub, I should use it for something pretty! Thanks for the inspiration!

Paxton said...

How pretty! I keep meaning to step into the world of modge podge, but I'm a little in awe of it, that and I was horrible at paper mache! :-)

Leanne said...

Super cute! Where did you get your napkins? They are great!

Kirsti said...

Leanne- They are by Amscan and I found them at a specialty Market-- would you like me to mail you a couple of each kind? I honestly have been wondering what I was going to do with the rest of the pack! Email me: kirstikoo(at)gmail(dot)com

Anyone else want some? Email me :)

Anonymous said...

I like your version of decoupaged eggs using napkins...Too cute and springy...sorry you have been feeling bad...Spring fever has hit me and all I want to do is craft (and cook!)...but not exercise or work....anyway, I invite you to see my Recycled Decoupaged Eggs on my blog. Thanx for sharing, Tiff

P K Glitz said...

These are so pretty and I love the beautiful bright patterns.