September 28, 2011

Recycled Jars= Glowing Jackolanterns

These cute jackolanterns were so easy and fun to make!!! They cost me $2.00 for supplies and I could make an endless amount of them in less than 5 steps!

I saw them featured on the cover of Woman's Day this month and just had to get the magazine and make some for myself (and my fall swap package!)
Materials:
clean jars, orange tissue paper, mod-podge, paint brush, scissors, black construction paper (or cardstock + glue dots)
Step 1: Begin by mixing up 3 parts mod podge to 1 part water. Measure height of each jar and cut strips that are 1 1/2 inches wide. You only need about 10 per jar.

Step 2: Paint on the modpodge/water mixture one strip at a time and apply the tissue paper on it. Smooth out the tissue paper as much as you can without tearing it. Apply the next strip so that it overlaps about 1/4 inch. Let it dry for a couple hours or overnight.
Step 3: Draw on the black paper some fun eyes, noses and smiles (or an oops mouth :)) and cut it out. I used cardstock because that's what I had on hand, but the magazine instructions called for construction paper and you paint the glue mixture on top to fix it to the jar. I used glue dots instead to adhere the paper because I didn't think the glue would be strong enough with such a thick paper. I think you could even paint black acrylic or tempera to make the face.
Step 4: Stick in a some battery operated votives or a yummy smelling candle- pumpkin scented, of course!
Turn off the lights, then ooooh and aaaaaw!
post note: A few days later and I found the author of this post from the magazine feature! Look at these darling monster jars from Emily @ Not So Idle Hands- She strung lights through the jars for an even spookier look!
And speaking of Halloween, our Complete Super Hero PDF pattern set includes full sewing instructions and packed with templates so you can create your own superhero costume in any size, and customize it with any initial and color scheme- available in my etsy store for $10 for a limited time (instead of $19.50!!)
{Linking up here:}
Photobucket
http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/search/label/the%20Cure%20for%20the%20Common%20Monday Photobucket

8 comments:

Madison said...

So cute! You did a great job with the faces. They look so playful and happy!!

Kim@todayismysome-day said...

I like these faces too! I'm not too into scary, but I like a fun Halloween!

Lyndsey said...

These are too cute!! I have had this on my to do craft list for a long time!! Maybe I should get to it huh?!!!

Emily said...

Yours turned out SO cute!! Thanks for the shout out.....it's fun making new bloggy friends!

Jamie said...

Hi I'm a new follower from Cure for the Common Monday.

I LOVE these pumpkin lights!! :o)

Please feel free to link up to my Make Yourself Monday Blog Hop!

Jamie
For Love of Cupcakes

Melonie said...

I've made these before and we just used regular elmer's glue watered down and it worked great. I loved layering the tissue paper squares to give it more texture. Super fun quick project even kids can do. :)

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

I saw these on Woman's Day too and am very impressed with your take on it! So fun and what a great effect when lit up. I am a new follower from Make Yourself Monday. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

Jamie said...

Thank you so much for joining the Make Yourself Monday blog hop!! And for adding the button!

Jamie
For Love of Cupcakes