September 21, 2012

Reversible Trick or Treat Bags

I made these SUPER simple and very cute Reversible Trick or Treat Bags in about an hour. This pattern works great for ANY sized bag, I made some of this size for my kids for church quiet activities, and a larger binder size for my notebook. They're super easy and extra cute!

Materials Needed:
4 quarter yard cuts (will make 3 bags total if you switch fabrics up)
7/8 inch grosgrain ribbon (or cotton webbing for thicker straps)-- (2) 20 inch pieces
thread
{optional} cute button, tulle, thick thread, pin
Step 1:
Decide which fabric you want for the main and which for the top strip
Cut 4 pieces of the main fabric 9X10 inches (2 pieces of each fabric- 2 candies, 2 skeletons)
Cut 4 pieces of the top strip 9X3 inches (2 pieces of each fabric- 2 diamonds, 2 purple cats)
Cut 2 pieces of the ribbon or webbing 20 inches long
Step 2: With right sides together, pin & sew top piece to main piece. I always use presser foot edge (about 1/4 inch) seam allowance unless otherwise noted. Repeat so you have 4 pieces of fabric.
Step 3: Place right sides together of each matching piece (candies on candies, skeletons on skeletons.) and sew up all 3 sides-- leaving the top side open. Make sure to backstitch at the beginning and end.
Step 4: With side seam facing you, put your hand inside and poke out the corner. Then flatten it with the seam going down the middle-
using your grid or ruler, measure 1 inch from the corner where the seams meet (not corner of fabric) draw a line straight across and sew along that edge (backstitch at beginning and end).
Then clip off the corners. Mitering the corners like this makes the bag have a base so it will stand up. Especially once you fill it with candies :)
Step 5: With one bag inside out and the other right side out, place the right side out bag inside the other:
Step 6: Measure 2 inches from each edge and tape (yes, I said tape) the ribbon pieces to the right side out bag-- the tape will hold it still below where you sew and you can just remove the tape later. I've found using tape-- masking, painters, clear tape... is easier to work with than using pins.
Step 7: Tuck the straps inside, line up the top edges and pin. Remove the plate from your machine and stitch around the top using a larger seam allowance (5/8th is good) and leaving a gap in between two straps.
Pull the inside bag out and turn it so both pieces are right side out:
Step 8: Push the inner bag inside the other and top stitch using 1/4 inch allowance (don't sew down straps)
And you are done!!
Fully reversible and ready to be stuffed to the brim with TREATS :)
Wanna add a little extra bling? Even boys will love this embellished pin that you can take off and switch over when you reverse the bag...
Joanns has some fun halloween buttons- jackolanterns, monsters, pumpkins, ghosts... Sew one onto a brooch-back pin with some ribbon or tulle for a girlie look.
Or sew the button onto a circle of felt for a pin that boys will love!
 

6 comments:

Jewels said...

You make everything look so easy! Love your creativity!

Unknown said...

Wow! U made nice bags from a piece of material and only using our creativity! Great invention. I think, I suppose when i will receive that bags like a gift i'll had to think - ooo nice, where did you buy it? but these ones is hand made so nice. I'm looking for a unique gift i check these website http://messageonanecklace.com/articles/gifts.html and your blog, and now i don't know what to choose.
Greetz to you
Rafael Gifts Inoz

Send Gifts to Pakistan said...

I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life. I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life." I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back. I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Lovely Little Gift Shop said...

I love these, they looks brilliant!

Joseph said...

Your process looks very easy , so i will be try. I Love your creativity!



Thank you
Korea tour

send gifts to philippines said...

Brilliant idea. I hope I can also do sewing, but I don't! anyway, thank you for sharing this.