April 6, 2016

Diastasis Recti- My Story

My body has been through a LOT... 3 pregnancies, 2 different types of c-sections, and an umbilical hernia. If you look closely you can see that there's a LOT of craziness going on around my belly button. I am ok with that because "perfect" is just plain and boring! I wear these baby scars proudly and with gratitude that my children are healthy and happy. My scars remind me of some of the most trying experiences and the things I learned along the way. View my story HERE. That being said, I realized this was not normal after having our 2nd baby, but I never knew why, nor did I take the time to research it. After our 3rd baby, I did a little research and realized that I have what's called Diastasis Recti. All the information at the time told me that it was irreparable, except through surgery and since I've done that 3 times, I said no thanks!Now I'm realizing that there are certain workouts to avoid- that make the separation worse, and certain workouts that help to close the gap. 


If you still have no idea what I'm taking about, do a google search and find a video about how to check yourself. I try to avoid sit ups/crunches and do bicycles instead.  That works my obliques instead of my lower abs, so I'm good with that. Although frontal planks is on the above diagram, I am ok with plank holds, because I feel the distribution throughout my whole core, back and arms. Anything standing over a workout laying down is always better. Doing bridge holds, legs slides or other core strengthening workouts are great to help build those other muscles up and take the strain off your lower abdominal muscles. Most importantly, do what feels right for YOUR body. Everyone is different, so listen to your body. If you're trying a workout that just doesn't feel right, make sure your posture is correct. If it still isn't working for you, modify as you need to. Here's a video about my story!


Here's a set of 5 great ab workouts that will not aggravate your muscle separation! 

No comments: